So as not to bore you to death, this will be the last of my chayote recipes post.
• 1 chayote (about 8 ounces), peeled and shredded
• 1 – 2 carrots (4 – 6 ounces), peeled and shredded
• 5 – 6 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked to soften (+/- ½ hour), remove and discard stems, shred caps
• 1 cup loosely pack 1-inch length scallion green
• thumb-size piece of fresh ginger, smashed
• 2 – 3 white part of scallion, smashed
• 2 – 3 cloves garlic, smashed
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
• 1 – 2 tablespoons oil
1. Add oil to preheated wok or frying pan. Add ginger, white parts of scallions and garlic. Stir-fry for 1 – 2 minutes, using medium heat, until garlic starts to brown. Remove and discard ginger, scallion and garlic (oil is now flavored).
2. Add mushrooms, stir-fry until fragrant, using medium-high heat.
3. Add salt, chayote and carrots. Stir-fry, using high to medium-high heat, until chayote reaches desired doneness (I like it to still have some crunch). Stir in scallion greens. Adjust taste.
Serve as a side.
CHAYOTE STIR-FRY WITH CHICKEN OR PORK (serves 2 – 3 as a main course)
• ½ pound chicken or pork, shredded (I used pork)
• 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
• Fresh ground black pepper to taste
• ¼ – 1 teaspoon Asian chili sauce (optional)
• 1 clove garlic pureed
• 1 teaspoon cornstarch
• 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
Combine all the above ingredients. Can be done the day before and kept refrigerated.
• ¼ cup chicken broth combined with 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 1 – 2 tablespoon oil
• CHAYOTE STIR-FRY (recipe above)
1. Add oil to preheated wok or frying pan. Add chicken/pork, stir-fry, using high heat until cooked.
2. Add CHAYOTE STIR-FRY. Mix well.
3. Give broth and cornstarch mixture a stir to combine. Add to wok, mix well, bring to a boil. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Now you have a main dish. Serve over cooked rice, fill pita halves, wrap in flour tortilla or wrap in lettuce leaves.
CHAYOTE STIR-FRY WITH CHICKEN OR PORK & PASTA (serves 2 – 3)
• 1 cup dried pasta of choice (I used mini rotini)
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce, regular or gluten free
• 1 – 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
• kosher salt to taste
• CHAYOTE STIR-FRY WITH CHICKEN OR PORK (recipe above)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Return to pot and toss with soy sauce and sesame oil.
2. Add CHAYOTE STIR-FRY WITH CHICKEN OR PORK. Mix well. Adjust taste. Serve.
Now you have a complete meal.
NOTE: Lack the time? Slice vegetables, chicken or pork instead of shredding.
Substitute: soy sauce (regular, mushroom dark or gluten free), fish sauce or hoisin sauce for the oyster sauce.
Substitute: Shrimp or beef for the chicken or pork
Substitute: Marinated tofu (click here for recipe) for the chicken and pork
… … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … …
Copyright © by Norma Chang. All Rights Reserved. Do not use/repost any photos and/or articles without permission.