America’s State Parks announced that all 50 state park systems will sponsor guided First Day Hike Programs on New Year’s Day 2013. America’s State Parks First Day Hikes offer individuals and families an opportunity to begin the New Year rejuvenating and connecting with the outdoors by taking a healthy hike on January 1, 2013 at a state park. First Day Hikes offer a great way to get outside, exercise, enjoy nature and welcome the New Year with friends and family. Currently there are 657 First Day Hikes.
Click here to find a first day hike near you.
♥ ♥ ♥
Walkway Over the Hudson is again participating. This will be the Walkway’s “2nd Annual First Day Walk”. Come and join the new tradition:
Date and Time: Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 2:00 p.m.
What: 1.2 or 2.4 mile, guided, group hike on the Walkway Over the Hudson
Begin: Meet at either west or east entrance of the Walkway, where Walkway volunteers will lead group walk over Walkway and back. See below for more details and directions.
Cost: FREE except you must smile, be friendly and courteous to other users of the Walkway.
Registration & more info: Contact Fred Schaeffer at FredinHV@aol.com or call 845-454-1190 or cell phone at 845-518-6071 – leave name and contact information.
Prizes: All participants have a chance to win an New York State Empire Pass (entitles winner to free parking for one year at all state parks, including Walkway). Raffle will be at the center overlook of the Walkway during the hike. There will be additional prizes raffled off too – see below.
Background: This is a national program to begin the New Year by connecting with the outdoors by taking a healthy hike on January 1, 2013 at a state, national or local park. It encourages families to do a fun walk for exercise, connect with nature and meet their neighbors, and, of course, enjoy the spectacular view of the Hudson River Valley from the Walkway.
Icy Condition Update: Weather forecast is good but icy conditions on the Walkway could cause postponement to a later date. Call 845-454-1190 after 10 a.m. on Tuesday, January 1, 2012 to verify Walkway is open and obtain postponement information if not open.
* Distance Options: Walkers can either walk out as a group to the center of the Walkway for the raffle and then return with the group to where they began (this is 1.2 mile option) or walkers can continue to opposite side of the Walkway and then back (this is 2.4 mile option).
* Donate a Prize: If you would like to donate a prize call Fred at 845-454-1190. Will give businesses publicity in exchange for donation.
* Set a Record: Walkway hopes to lead the country in participants so we will take a group photo at the center overlook. We have no doubt we will have the most participants in New York State but some areas of the country don’t have to deal with cold weather. We will be submitting photo to those in charge of this initiative.
* Smiling and Greeting Your Neighbors is a Walkway tradition. So come prepared to help make the Walkway the friendliest park in the country.
* Directions to the Walkway www.walkway.org or New York State Parks website
* Dress Warmly