This recipe is an adaptaion of Minced Duck with Pine Nuts from my cookbook “My Students’ Favorite Chinese Recipes updated edition”
Lentil Sprouts with Pine Nuts Lettuce Wrap
1 – 1½ cups steamed lentil sprouts
2 – 4 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked to soften, remove and discaard stems, dice caps (save soaking liquid and use in cooking)
½ – 1 yellow pepper, cut into about ¼ inch dice
½ – 1 red pepper, cut into about ¼ inch dice
½ – 1 cup zucchini, cut into about ¼ inch dice (I use slices without the seeds)
½ – 1 red onion, cut into about ¼ inch dice
2 tablespoons ginger wine
1 – 2 tablespoon soy sauce, regular or gluten free
1 – 2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
ground black or white pepper to taste
4 ounces toasted pine nuts
2 – 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
1 – 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
2 – 4 tablespoons broth/reserved mushroom soaking liquid or as needed
1½ teaspoon cornstarch combined with 2 tablespoons water or reserved mushroom soaking liquid (may not be needed)
1 – 2 heads Boston or Romaine lettuce, separate leaves, wash and pat dry well, arrange on a serving platter
2 – 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce placed in a small serving dish
1 – 2 tablespoons Asian chili sauce (optional) placed in a small serving dish
1. Add 1 – 2 tablespoons oil in preheated wok or frying pan. Add salt, lentil sprouts, yellow and red peppers, zucchini and onion. Stir-fry until zucchini turns a bright green color. Add ginger wine and soy sauce, continue stir frying until vegetables reached desired doneness, adding broth or mushroom soaking liquid one tablespoon at a time if wok or frying pan is dry and to prevent burning. Stir in sesame oil.
2. Give cornstarch mixture a good stir and add to wok (if needed to tighten liquid.)
3. Remove to a serving platter. Garnish with pine nuts and cilantro.
Brush a little hoisin sauce and chili sauce (if using) on a lettuce leaf, spoon some of the sprouts mixture on top. Fold and eat.
VARIATION – Lentil Sprouts with Pine Nuts in Pita Pocket
1. Brush a bit of hoisin sauce and/or Asian chili sauce on the inside of pita pocket.
2. Tuck a piece of leaf lettuce into the pocket.
3. Spoon lentil sprouts mixture (recipe above) into pita pocket. Enjoy.
Copyright © by Norma Chang